Monday, March 26, 2012

Meet the Meat, Fat is okay!

So far while flipping through multiple blogs/websites I have seen a couple variations on what paleo groupies like ourselves should eat for meat.  Should we go clean and lean or eat full-flavored and fatty?

I guess when it comes down to it, Mr. Caveman didn't have much of a choice.  It was either eat that fatty hunk of goodness or waste time, energy, and insulation on the body by removing this yellow adipose tissue.
I personally know from watching many a Food Network show that fatty meat tastes better.  I suppose that eating some fat in your meat also picks up the lack of fat you get if you aren't eating enough guac, oils, or ghee.

Plus I hear that the grey matter in that noggin of yours thrives on it!  Think about this for a minute, forget for just a second that dairy is a mini spawn of Satan.  Pretend that giving your baby milk is nutritious and not at all harmful.  What kind of milk do we give our children once they are old enough to cow's milk?  Full fat, Vitamin D!  Why?  Because the brain needs fat!  So could it be that some of that fat could help with our brain processes.  I think so.

So, whether you go lean or not is your choice.  I think this just affects us Bacon Lovers :)

What types of meat should the modern-day cave dweller eat?

Lean beef (trimmed of visible fat), Flank, steak, Top sirloin steak, Extra-lean hamburger (no more than 7% fat, extra fat drained off), London broil, Chuck steak, Lean veal, Lean pork (trimmed of visible fat), Pork loin Pork chops, Any other lean cut
Lean poultry - preferably free range, grass fed, organic meats; white meat preferred, remove skin
Chicken breast, Turkey breast
Other meats
Any wild game meat
Fish
Bass, Bluefish, Cod, Drum, Eel, Flatfish, Grouper, Haddock, Halibut, Herring, Mackerel, Monkfish, Mullet, Northern pike, Orange Roughy, Perch, Red snapper, Rockfish, Salmon, Scrod, Shark, Striped bass, Sunfish, Tilapia, Trout, Tuna, Turbot, Walleye, Any other commercially available fish

Shellfish
Abalone, Clams, Crab, Crayfish, Lobster, Mussels, Oysters, Scallops, Shrimp

Eggs and dairy alternatives
Chicken eggs (go for the enriched omega 3 variety), Duck eggs, Goose eggs, Coconut milk

I believe I read somewhere to limit intake on Tuna because of mercury levels.  I also heard to limit eggs for a few a week.  As I am not a doctor, I wouldn't know how accurate that is.  The diet "rules" in the SAD change often and no one ever knows what to say about egg consumption and cholesterol. 

I read somewhere that our Bedrock brothers and sisters had to go savaging for eggs.  If they really couldn't get much because of protective mamas then maybe we should reduce our intake.


What are your thoughts on meat?

I haven't tried organ meats.  To be honest I am afraid of them.  At Thanksgiving my husband gets the innards, The muscular consistency of the heart totally grosses me out.  The idea of what organs like kidneys and liver do in the body just totally turns me off.

I am a big seafood person!  There is just so much variety.

I hear that canned meats, hot dogs, and just about every other nasty sounding processed food is off the list of indulge ables.  Oh well, darn! No mystery meat for me!  Aw shucks!

Take advantage of your local farms and meat markets.  They usually have a better selection at better prices as compared to the conventional grocer.

Should I eat Organic Meat?

That is totally up to you.  What makes Paleo expensive is the quality foods that are only kissed by the sun instead of poison and hormones.  If you absolutely cannot afford to go free-range, organic, and whatnot, have no fear.  We will not throw you out of the cave!  We will not even use you as saber-tooth bait!

Just do what you can.  Eating better even if it is not organic is still wayyyy better than eating processed, is it not?

Well this concludes my meat manifesto!  Remember the meat food list is not complete, feel free to eat wild like gator! Nom Nom!


No comments:

Post a Comment